Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Potato Soup

Rainy and grey outside... very few ingredients in my ridge or pantry... hmmm... it's a potato soup day. The first time I remember having home made potato soup I was seven years old and we had traveled from New Mexico to Kalispel, Montana to stay with my grandparents. It was already dark and way past bedtime when we arrived, but my grandma had a hot pot of her special creamy homemade potato soup waiting for us. It was perfect, and better than any soup I had ever tasted. I wanted more... I wanted to know how she made it so white and delicious.
That was a rainy weekend too, but now I make my own potato soup. Little did I know then how easy it is, how few ingredients it takes, and just how perfectly more satifying those two facts add to the soup.

I start mine with butter... because everything is better with butter. I add some chopped onions, let them carmelize with some garlic! Mmmm it smells like heaven already. Then in goes the chicken stock, chopped potatoes, carrots, and sometimes celery, a little milk, basil maybe or whateer other herb I am feeling like... and then a few minutes later...Mmmm Mmmm good- homemade potato soup!

It makes me feel warm inside and out and reminds me of the simplicity of hospitality. Thanks Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment