Saturday, April 2, 2011

Backseat Chatter


One of my favorite times to talk is in the car. I’m not sure exactly the reason, maybe it’s that my listener has no escape route, or that conversation just seems to develop because there is little else to do. (of course, my husband would much rather sing along with the radio and sees talking as a complete interruption, whereas to me, it is the exact opposite- the singing being the interruption). However, when you have kids, car rides move on to a whole new level.

Most of the time I still rather enjoy our many car trips. I like listening to my kids’ creativity, their questions, and wonderings, and most of all their giggles. At two and four, they have entered a whole new world of “brotherhood.” Part of it I saw coming long before now- Elijah conniving ideas for Owen to join in on. I see it everyday more and more how they fight with each other, compete, share, love, support, and stand up for one another. It’s a natural and beautiful thing. Sometimes it’s hard for me to just let them be. But I know the days are coming when they need to figure things out for themselves, fight their own fights and not have mom step in and decide the winner.

Most of the time their behavior is very laughable. I feel like the camera crews are going to jump out of the pantry any minute now- my life- the true reality show. Tonight on our way home, it was just the boys and I, I was telling Elijah that he had no school tomorrow because it’s spring break, so it’s going to be a “stay at home with mommy day.” Then Owen added, “and daddy” (he’s really been missing daddy lately).
“Well actually we are going to meet daddy at the tire store in the morning, so you will see him for a little bit,” I said.
“Why is daddy at the tire store?” Elijah asked.
“Well he’s not there right now, but he will be there in the morning.”
“Why?”
“He needs to get the snow tires off his car, and have the tire guys put regular tires on.”
“oh… are they going to keep the tires on the rims?”
At this question I paused for a millesecond… are you old enough to ask that? How do you know about rims? And then I remembered who I was married to, and obviously this would have come up in casual four year conversation between daddy and son.
“Yeah, I think they are going to keep the tires on the rims because both sets have their own rims.”
From there we talked about why we didn’t need snow tires anymore, and why mommy’s car didn’t need them either, and that daddy’s car was better… for some reason. I guess because daddy would be in it. And then the silliness started. Owen took off his shoe and threw it at Elijah who then threw it on the floor. “Owen threw his shoe at me!!!” “Don’t do that Wijah!” “That’s a time out Owen!” Elijah said in a silly voice. Then they started giving everyone and everything a “time out.” “Time out to the window!” Owen exclaimed. “Time out to the floor!” “Say time out to the road Owen, to the road!” Elijah was hysterical, for some reason this was their funniest game yet, and my backseat was full of rumbling giggles all the way home.

So, even though some of the time all I want to do is get out of the car and away from the screaming and crying and chaos, most of our car trips leave me feeling glad we were together. It’s a little piece of who we are packed into a little bitty space (although I must say it looks a whole lot bigger after cleaning out the half a foot of junk that used to be on the floor)! It’s one of the few places the kids are buckled down, forced to be still, giving us the opportunity to show them the world.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! And I agree about the fun of listening to kids talk in the car. It's amazing the things they say!

    Sometimes I wish someone would give me a time out. I wouldn't mind being banished to my room all alone now and then. ;)

    Oh, by the way--I've got some hand-me-downs for the boys in my trunk. I tried to catch you this morning but I was a little too late! Remind me next time you see me!

    ReplyDelete