Friday, August 10, 2012

Out and About With my Boys!

I may have just out-done myself today. We left right after breakfast on a mission to find ducks to feed a bag of bread to.  The backstory is... Grandma got the boys these sandwich cutters that make their sandwiches into stars or hearts, well after they do this brilliantly fun creation there is leftover crusts and pieces.  I couldn't let them throw those away, so all week we've been saving the extras for just such an occasion as an early morning duck feed.

The first park we went to that would have had ducks wanted me to pay $3.50 just to park! Um, no thank you this is suppose to be a free activity! So we went elsewhere to find free ducks to feed.  There is just something exciting about watching the boys throw bread at the ducks and geese.  I guess it's their reactions, their excitement, and thrill of it all. Owen is braver than I'd like him to be sometimes. the last time we did this he got bitten, this time he nearly did again because he just gets so close and so excited! Bonus... we also saw a little ground squirrel.  It was so cute and peeped it's little face up at us for a minute before going back into hiding.

When our bread bag was empty we headed for the playground! It was just early enough to be rather warm, but with a nice breeze- ahh what perfect timing! Owen made a new friend, as he usually does.  They were pretending to be different versions of Superman... no surprise.  Elijah used all of his energy up right away and wanted leave early and "get a smoothie." Hah... smoothies are suppose to be a luxury, do they not know this? Maybe the huge pregnant woman has gotten too many in past weeks and led them astray!

We left the park and I tried to be patient with our new car set up.  Owen is now in the middle and must get in first from Elijah's side.  the plan is for Elijah to help buckle him, and then Elijah to buckle himself, leaving me with only the baby car seat to put in on the other side. It's been a week now with this arrangement, and each day gets a little better, but they still have a hard time being "nice" to each other when they are squished right up side by side.  I must also add... the car has never been cleaner! Martin put in new carpeting last weekend before he installed the baby car seat, and it looks brand new all over!  I wish you could see it, for I know it won't last long!

I decided to be the really cool mom today and take them out at Carl's Jr.  okay I really just wanted one of their yummy turkey burgers... but with that and a playland everyone would be happy! And we were! Of course the oreo shake was a fantastic bonus! they played and played, climbing the structures to the rocket ships and slides.  I just sat and listened and smiled, enjoying these last "easy" days before I have newborn to tote around as well.

On the way home I pondered our options... knowing they would automatically want to watch "Spiderman and his Amazing Friends" their new favorite show... when we got there.  So we went to the library! they each chose five books while I looked through a magazine... that alone was amazing!  They still don't understand the difference between buying and borrowing, because Elijah kept asking if we could buy every book.  I guess it kind of looks the same... taking things up to a counter and leaving with them. However I never drop anything off through a slot at Target to "return" it.

Just before turning onto our street, we saw a few kids with a drink stand and a big hot pink sign. I reached in my purse... only a few dimes.  We pulled over and I cleaned out the dash board finding just enough for both boys to get something at this little stand.  We parked across the street and walked over.  I let Elijah handle the coins.  They were so thrilled about this! Owen chose a popsicle and Elijah bought an ice cream sandwich. Both were nearly melting, so they had to eat quickly.  Owen, our poky eater, wasn't quite quick enough and lost part of his on the ground, which produced instant tears... and red drips all over his white shirt. But I didn't have any more change left, or I may have gotten him another one. Luckily he is a short lived cry-er. We wiped off the sticky hands before getting back in the car and driving around the block to our house.

The next hour was spent reading all the library books and drinking ice water on the couch.  Lovely.. lovely day.  Of course as soon as Martin got home and "claimed" them, I fell asleep right where I was on the couch! It felt good to get and do some things with them though, and I know it was better than lying around the house all day! They really are wonderful little boys and I can't believe God blessed me enough to take care of them plus one!

If I was really fantastically on top of things, I'd post pictures... but yeah... not quite there.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day! I was thinking about your sweet boys today, including little William. I was thinking how if I could pick a husband for Elaina someday, I would hope it would be someone as wonderful as your boys. I know that they will grow up to be God loving, sweet, thoughtful, funny, strong, protecting men. You and Martin are doing an amazing job with them. Hmmm....arranged marriages is still a thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet. I hope we are doing a good job, sometimes it feels so completely out of control, but I know God is watching over them and that is really what matters.
    And... it looks like Elaina can have her choice since we do have three.. ha ha ha! I really can't wait for them to meet and at the very least be good buddies!!!

    ReplyDelete