Saturday, January 24, 2015

Phase Two (Getting in Shape)

Today, I began "Phase Two" of  my goal to get in shape and lose thirty before I'm thirty! I've come a long way on this journey already which began in September. Phase one, I focused on my eating habits only. I may do a few posts giving tips about how I got to where I am now. I can't believe I am within just a few pounds of my goal weight, but it's not really about the number anymore!

I want to be strong and healthy for me, my hubby, and my three growing boys! I want them to see a woman making good choices and overcoming things that once seemed impossible. They need it as much as I do.

As part of my goal, I've decided to run in a local race that has sort of always been on my "bucket list," - Bloomsday! It's just over 7 miles, something I've never done, and it's got a killer hill that everyone calls "doomsday hill." I'm up to the challenge, and it will give me something to keep going and striving for.

My husband has also agreed to run it with me, which frankly will be a breeze for him. He ran track and cross country in college and high school, but it will be nice to have the support and the company. I know he'll have to hold back, there's no way I'll be able to run it in any sort of competitive time, but that's not what it's about, after all!

A few weeks ago, I got these awesome new running shoes! Who would have thought that Skechers makes some decent training shoes? They are so comfortable, and I love the hot pink! Totally empowering!

I went on my first training run this evening just before the sun went down. Just a short one, a little over one mile... but I am already feeling it! I have a lot of work to do! The weather was decent, still cold, but good for running, low forties. My lungs didn't appreciate it, though. I can still feel the cold down in my chest. My husband tells me it will go away with more practice, and my lungs will get stronger.

I have about four months to train for the race, which is the first Sunday in May. I am hoping to slowly add miles to my practice runs, and be able to get in a few long 7 mile runs before then!

Day one down... many more to go!!!

1 comment:

  1. This was the mileage buildup program I did once a long time ago. It starts at 3 or 4 miles, but I think there are some out there that are couch to 10K type programs that start at lower mileages. I like following the set programs because they remind you to rest, and tell you when to do your long runs and such. Good luck!!
    http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html

    ReplyDelete