Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Getting Back To Priorities

As a mom, there are many things I once valued that now I rarely think about. Priorities have taken a major revamp… mostly for the good I have to say. But there are those things, little things that I need back in my life… looking in the mirror, for instance before leaving the house.

Last week after picking Elijah up from pre-school, I decided I would be brave and attempt a post office stop with both boys in tow. I only had one envelope to mail and some stamps to pick up, but of course there was a line. I tried pre-occupying Elijah with letter games “how many letter A’s can you find,” etc. It worked fairly well, but he was still his fidgety, four-year- old self.

When it was finally our turn, Elijah handed our special envelope up on to the counter to be mailed, and then stepped behind me to do some more fidgeting. What I didn’t expect was a poke on my bottom. Yes… my four year old was poking me! I turned around trying to be discreet and whispered as sternly as I could for him to stop. As soon as I turned back to the counter, he did it again. “Elijah! Stop it!” I said. I figured he was trying to poke the button on my pants, but I couldn’t understand why that would be funny, he was giggling after all. Oh well, kids do silly unexplainable things all the time, though this was a little inappropriate in my opinion, I didn’t want to make a big deal in front of a line of people.

When we got out to the car he had a talk about poking, and I thought that was the end of it. Well, it was the end for him, but when I got home I realized that I should have been a lot more embarrassed at the post office… and at Elijah’s pre-school, and everywhere else I had been that morning. I hadn’t looked in the mirror before walking out the door, (surprise, surprise). If I had looked in the mirror, I would have noticed the large hole on the backside of my pants and the bright blue panties showing through. But I didn’t. Now I know, some priorities aren’t worth sacrificing.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! That's awesome! I don't really miss being obsessed about how I look and self conscious about every little bulge and whatnot. I don't want to "let myself go" but I don't miss the neurotic self-consciousness of it. So I suppose it can be a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a blog puts a whole new spin on our little mistakes and blunders. Now you can just think of it as blogging fodder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kel! What a day! I almost made that same mistake last week. I was sorely behind on laundry, grab my last pair of pants out of the drawer and was nearly on my way out when I felt a draft and noticed a hole in a very inappropriate place. Needless to say I chose a pair of dirty jeans from the laundry basket instead.

    ReplyDelete