Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Power of Words

I'm a person who loves meaningful words, you know, quotes... catchy phrases... words that ring true and apply to my life directly in some way. Finding these words in unexpected places makes my day: on license plates (things like LVNLIFE) on window displays, especially now (spread the joy), and today on my coffee sleeve (Stories are gifts. Share yours). That is so true; some of the stories I have been told have been the best gifts. Which goes to show that words are powerful and how you express them is important. And Bonus: they are FREE!
I wish that I had the means to travel the world and share meaningful words with everyone, not just the silly little things that someone can print on a coffee sleeve, even though for me those little things help, but what if positivity and hope could be spread to everyone? What if the whole world smiled at the same time? I think we'd be able to feel it. Mmmm how wonderful that would be... impossible, but wonderful. Maybe heaven will be like that, like one huge heart warming smile, bursting with light and joy and love.
It helps to think about positive things, and to remember that this isn't the end. My story is only just beginning. I need to do better. Better at what? Well, I have a long list, but every time I see simple meaningful words I'm convicted just a tad. They prick my heart and I have to say, oh yeah... life is good...I do have hope... I do have joy... I am blessed... I am chosen... I am loved. If it stopped there it wouldn't mean much, but like I said i am trying to do better. those reminders tell me to encourage others in the same way. there are so many people in my life that need to hear me say those things: I love you, you bring me joy, you strengthen my hope, you are special, you make my life better, your story has changed me.
Sometimes things go unsaid. We overestimate how good we are at communicating. Or maybe it just sounds too cheesy to say those kinds of things out loud. But what if they never get said?
I really believe words can change the world. Because after all, if you have to choose between your belly and your soul getting fed, the latter will always be more important.
Tell someone today what they really mean to you, and take every opportunity to encourage.

"The right word spoken at the right time is as beautiful as gold apples in a silver bowl." Proverbs 25:11 (New Century Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment