Thursday, June 28, 2012

Three

As I am getting ready to have my third baby, I have been thinking about all the "threes" in my life. Some are simple and some more significant, but I guess the number three will forever be a part of me now.

I am the youngest of three.  This may be the most significant one.  Earlier on, before we had really decided how many kids we wanted, I thought I wouldn't have a third -this being one of the key reasons.  It was hard being the youngest, and for all of you other youngests out there you know what I mean.  The tortures! The decisions that get made for you.  The privileges you have to wait so much longer for... etc, etc. And now, here I am- the youngest of three having my third at about the exact age my mom had me. Coincidence? I think not.

Martin, my hubby, also comes from a family of three children, only he happens to be the oldest in the line up.  He had the perspective that someone always gets left out, but I'm not having four just to even things out! That's life... getting left out builds good character right?

Factual Fun about "Three"

When I was four I learned that there are three primary colors, red, yellow, and blue, that make up all the other colors!  This amazed me, and I have been obsessed with color ever since.  I love the concept that so much can be created with so little.

I am a sentimentalist, a preserver a time, and a dreamer of things to come.  This defining part of my identity also relates to three in the way we separate time into three categories: the past, present, and future.  I want to hold on to everything that reminds me of something or someone special, but I also love planning and having things to look forward to.  I guess I struggle most with being content in the here and now.

Women's measurements are typically taken in three's: bust, waist, and hips.  I still have the card from the bridal shop where my measurements were taken for my wedding gown.  Someday in the future... maybe I'll see those numbers again.  After all measuring is much more accurate than getting on the scale for progress.  Did you know that if Barbie were life size her measurements would be: 39-23-33? Ridiculous right? I won't tell you mine, even my goal measurements are far from Barbie, but the average woman in America is 40-34-43, in case you were wondering.

Three has been called "the perfect number." I guess maybe because it's balanced, like a triangle-  that's kind of what I think of.  When I erase some of the negatives about being number three in my family, I realize how truly balanced we are because there are three of us.  Not that we always agree, or come together on things, but mediation can exist between us, which we all sort of take turns at.  My brother, who is in the middle, is best at this peacemaker role, and Jenny and I as the other points of the triangle have often needed his calm balancing act.  Who would have done it if we didn't have him? Who would Jenny have picked on if she didn't have me?

Okay I had to add this silly/sweet one just because... My three year old, Owen has three adorable freckles on his face!  I love them, and find it funny because I have a million running across my cheeks right under my eyes.  He just has three though! One above his right eyebrow, one on his cheek and one on his nose.  I like to kiss each one before he wiggles away!

So, now you know some of my strange thoughts about three and how it relates to me.  There are probably a lot more that I didn't mention.  I am most looking forward to the baby coming that will really make the number three significant to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment