Thursday, July 5, 2012

Predictably Unpredictable

How can I still be surprised at the unpredictability of my life?  Elijah and Owen fell asleep on the couch today around 4pm which never happens... ever.  But can be explained- they were up extremely late last night for fireworks, smores, and sleeping in a tent in the backyard.  This however doesn't mean that they slept in, oh no.  They still came through the screen door very chipper at 6:30am. So, I knew the crash would come, I just didn't know when.

(side note: I wish I could capture my belly on video right now!  William is doing his
sea monster thing, making my belly move in unnatural ways like an alien possessed watermelon)!

Martin came home to a nesting wife, and for once it felt like I could actually get something done because the big boys were still sleeping on the couch! I filled the diaper organizer with the one small package of newborn diapers I bought today (knowing William will most likely only need these his first two days, after which he will move right into the size one diapers because I only have very big babies).  I cut tags off of things and put other things in piles of this and that. I smiled ecstatically at the scrapbook art I made of William's name and added a few greyish-brown bows.

Then, I got hungry... and for some reason there was nothing to eat... again.  Honey went out for pizza... again.  Oops. Nesting wife apparently can't also be nurturing, cooking housewife. He came back with Chicken garlic/ olive and pineapple pizza and cheesy bread!  Bless that man! I contributed a salad.

Of course the very late nap of two boys meant a longer night. They were still full of energy by nine. We took a walk around the neighborhood after dinner, then I left them to wrestle and run with daddy in the front yard while I snuck away for a cool shower. When I got out... They were in their room, daddy asleep in the rocking chair.  This is actually pretty typical.  He often falls asleep before they do if he is in charge of the putting to bed portion of the evening. He pretends otherwise, but it's hard to miss a zonked out dad, and hyper kids enjoying it.

I thought I would get to watch a movie. Hah! Every ten minutes one or both boys came out for some life altering reason... hugs, kisses, water, potty, more hugs, other complaints about sleeping. At this point Martin moved to the couch and fell back asleep, leaving me up and down, pausing my non-kid movie, taking one to the potty, getting the other a drink, opening a window, turning on the "the moon lamp." At 10pm, Owen came out for one last daddy hug and Martin accidentally whacked him in the neck because he didn't notice Owen standing there- which instantly brought on unexpected tears and absolute need of consoling.  Then Owen asked if he could sleep with daddy on the couch.  I gave up... my sleeping  partner, my movie, relax time, what else could I do? After all, I'm pretty tired too.

For some reason I remain open-minded, hopeful, optimistic even about how the days will go.  Maybe tomorrow they'll sleep in. Probably not, but a mom can dream.

1 comment:

  1. What a day! Love these little peeks into your family's life. Miss you all.

    ReplyDelete