Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Our Impossible gift

We've lived in our house for just over ten months now, and the newness of it still hasn't faded. I can't get over how perfect it is for our family of four; three bedrooms, two bathrooms, hard wood floors and a beautiful kitchen complete with new stainless steel appliances and a granite tiled island. I'm still amazed at how it all worked out, and I still feel like I don't deserve it.
Last February, we had just welcomed our second baby boy into the world and we were living graciously in the empty home of church family who were gone temporaily. The plan was to find our own place to live sometime in March, most likely another apartment. But I had vowed to leaving the "home searching" up to Martin, my hubby, hoping that would eleviate the stress, and with a new baby, I really didn't have any extra energy.
Martin made a few calls after looking through the newspaper one Saturday morning and then asked, "Do you want to go look at a house?" A house? Had he lost his mind? First of all I knew there was no way we'd be able to afford anything on the market, second of all, I had a two week old baby in my arms and house hunting didn't sound all that appealing.
I humored him anyways.
He promised it would be fun just to get out of the house and it couldn't hurt just to look.
It could hurt.
Though the house was unfinished, as soon as I walked in the door, I had fallen in love with it. It had vaulted ceilings, and felt so open, but yet cozy too. I could easily imagine the boys playing in the living room, and making a splash in tub of the nicely sized bathroom. As I walked through the rest of the house I began to do the numbers in my head, but no matter how I worked it, there was no way we could afford this house.
On the way home I couldn't help but wish there was a way."What do you think?" Martin finally asked.
"I love it!" I said half smiling. I couldn't deny it, but what could we do?
"That's all I needed to know," he said.
Over the next month he worked with the bank. Under God's good graces we qualified for a loan just over the price of the house. I couldn't believe it. I felt like I had just been handed the keys to the door of impossibility. I had been ready to accept renting again, though I dreaded it.

We moved in the middle of April into the little brick-faced house on Iago street. The boys do play effortlessly every day in the spacious living room, and make a splash out of bathttime in their very own bathroom, and every night when I'm turning out the last light in the house I thank God for this impossible gift.

1 comment:

  1. It is a beautiful house...and you've made it into a wonderful home! I can't wait to come visit again this summer. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete