Friday, May 4, 2012

A Lazy Day and Baby Plans

The two big boys are sleeping... the little one in my belly is not.  He is so active now, moving around like a little acrobat, sometimes startling me with his sudden bouts of energy.  Owen refuses to be called little now. In his words- he is HUGE. And the way he says it makes me smile, thinking one day he will be, but for now I still think of him as my little boy, my snuggler. And Elijah now says that he is the Biggest boy, knowing that he will always be the oldest and there are two now that are smaller than him. (although we've long known that Owen will most likely pass him up at some point).

Elijah woke up with a fever, and has slept most of the day. He ate only a small bit of applesauce, watched sesame street with his brother, and then returned to bed.  So it's been a day of playing "Army Men" (which Owen will not let me call soldiers, for some reason he doesn't understand that those terms are really synonyms), and Legos... and some made up game where I am a mommy Elephant with Owen. We've all stayed in our jammies... and I'm thinking pizza and a movie will follow, to the end out this lazy day.

I know, I'm suppose to be eating healthier- bulking up on protein and fiber, and cutting down on sugars and large meals. All of that is a challenge.  I just want to eat what I want when I want it, and not feel guilty or worry about gaining too much. Yesterday I hit the 24 week mark.  Part of me feels like, I've been pregnant for such a long time now, and I am ready for this baby to come as soon as possible.  Then there's the other side, as usual, thinking wow there's only four months left... am I going to be ready? There is so much left to do... projects, and organizing, cleaning and preparing. Here are some of my goals:
Owen needs to be completely potty trained. I was so sure that by now, we would be under some easy breezy routine where I tell him to go and he does. Not so much.  reality is- I mention going potty, he screams out in refusal and I fight him for ten minutes to get him on the toilet seat.  He eventually does it, with some creative coaxing, but it is in no way easy. I'm exhausted by it, I am sick of buying pull-ups, and frustrated that he isn't farther along in this little journey.  Lately I've been trying to encourage him by showing him the past sticker charts he has completed for going potty. He seems proud of them and wants to get more... sometimes. Other times he just really doesn't care... and wants to play instead.
Transitioning Owen to Elijah's room.
We bought the mattress yesterday for the bottom bunk where Owen will be sleeping, but I think we'll wait a few more weeks to make the big move over.
Painting the Nursery!
This will be a fun day I think...friends are coming over to get it all done!
Car Seat Needs to fit.
Since we don't have a car seat yet, we're not sure if all three are going to fit in the back seat of our Subaru Forrester. It just depends on how big the base of the infant car seat is, I think. Somehow they are all going to have to fit, b/c a new car is not in the budget!
Other baby projects...
I'm working on a mobile
Martin will be making baby a special hat once I find him the right knitting pattern
 Art work for the wall- I'm assigning to my mom and brother.  The idea is from a book I have called, "It's Time To Sleep, My Love" and the picture I want done on canvas is of a huge hot air balloon in front of the sunset with all sorts of animals in the basket part of it.  It's really beautiful and whimsical
Block Shelf- I got this cool shelf at a yard sale that I'm going to paint blue/brown the room colors and put his name in antique block letters on it, also books etc.
Growth Chart- I thought it would be special to make all of the boys a wooden growth chart so that if we ever move, the "lines on the wall" won't get lost. The wood needs painted and measured for markings.  I also got the first letter of their names to put at the top.
Marble book ends- I saw this idea somewhere, just mason jars full of colorful marbles! I thought how perfect!
Baby book/scrapbook- I pre-made one for Owen when I was pregnant so that after he came all I had to do was put pictures in it, but this project is particularly challenging and time consuming... I bought a back-up already made on just in case I don't get around to doing it all myself.
Photo-Shoot- I want to take some maternity pics maybe next month (I'm also getting ideas for great newborn shots).
Changing Table- I have this old desk that I'm hoping to use as a changing table. It just needs painted, and maybe a security board ledge tacked on to it for safety.

Those are some of the things swirling through my head that need to get done.  Yesterday I cleared out the corner of our bedroom for where baby will most likely spend most nights for the first few months. We're going to put the swing there for him and have a little shelf for a humidifier, diapers, and a few small things he might need at night. Oh yeah, I also found the perfect and most adorable little blue rocking chair yesterday! It was a little more than I wanted to spend though, so I figured I'd wait to see if they lowered to price.  It's kid size so I thought it would be nice for the boys to sit and read in while I'm nursing. (of course they'd have to take turns, so this could be a problem)!






2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! I was the same way with my eating habits. I ate healthy most of the time, but if I wanted to indulge in something sweet, fattening, or carb loaded, I didn't worry about it. Almost every doctor's appointment I had my doctor told me I needed to cut back on the orange juice. But I managed to stay healthy inspite of my eating habits and baby came out healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look super cute! And I bet you'll find time for all of your plans. The wooden growth chart sounds like a great idea! I am so excited for you guys, Kelly. Could you email me the details of your room painting day? It seems like I saw a text or email or something when I was on my trip, but I can't find it now!

    ReplyDelete