Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Nesting Much?

I never knew I would be so excited about a color.  Well, maybe I should take that back... I have been a little obsessed with colors since the age of two when I knew all of their names. "That's not pink, it's peach," and so on.  It's amazing how certain colors can affect you- some make you relaxed, others energized... and then there are the ones that make you so completely content, so sigh-with-satisfaction wonderful that you need that color to be a part of your every day life.  When I think of my favorite colors, I think of the sea and sky coming together.  I think of the the very beginning of all time when God planned out the most overwhelming beauty... the sand next to the ocean waves... the night sky- a canvas for stars to play on.  I think of blues: turquoise, aqua, teal, cerulean.  That's me. I'm blue to the core, and who would have thought I'd get three boys... to channel all of my blue into.

I tell you all this as I am finally getting the opportunity to paint a nursery.  With my first, we lived in an apartment- no painting the walls there.  With my second, well we did technically move into our current house a few months after he was born, but by then I had no energy for painting.  The nesting period was way over... and I was just in that survival kind of mode. So now that I can do a nursery justice, well I couldn't be more excited! Today I finally found the perfect blue. It sounds silly comparing a stack full of blues so similar I know there are some of you out there who may not be able to tell them apart.  But it matters to me. We decided on a color called "November Sky." Martin actually made the final decision (can you believe it)? It's on the lighter side and in the tones of a classic french blue.  Not the kind of blue on a clear summer day... more of a blue you might see towards the end of the day just before sunset, and in the fall. Or a blue the peeks in between the clouds on a rainy day, teasing here and there- it's just the perfect balance between peaceful and sheer joy!

The brown accent color we are using was easy.  I knew almost instantly which paint sample would be absolutely top notch. It's called "Missouri mud pie"... a very dark brown. My first instinct was a color called "bittersweet Chocolate," but that turned out to be just a hint too dark.

So the colors have been chosen, I've drawn out the plans, and even have some friends committed to coming over to help paint!!! My nesting juices are running wild. I lay in bed at night thinking about where I'm going to hang the moon and stars shelf, and where I'm going to keep the tummy time blankets. Sometimes I almost jump up put of bed to go and move something in the room, then I remember we haven't moved Owen out yet, and that I am being ridiculous.

It's been exactly 3 weeks since we found out that we are having a boy, and since then I have been on turbo power with lists of boy names and decorating the nursery.  There is something about both of those things that bring joy and reality to the surface.  He really is on his way... we're past the half-way point! And we are going to have such a special place for him that is all his own.  Every day I get more and more excited about meeting him and seeing how he will change our family.

3 comments:

  1. I love how excited you are. What a lucky little man to have you as his mama.
    The room sounds wonderful.
    Can't wait to see pics of it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to meet him! The room sounds wonderful. You make me want to go paint Elaina's room, but alas...we are renting. I can't wait until I can decorate a room for her someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you describe colors. Lovely. And I'm really good at naming if you want to let me name your little one. No? Well, just keep it in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete