Monday, September 29, 2014

Happy Eighth, Elijah!

This boy turned EIGHT, last Thursday! It's the same every year, it always feels impossible no matter which child it is, and no matter what age they are turning. Eight seems big to me. Now he's in a whole new age bracket... and only one age bracket away from the teenager one! Eek! You know, 8-12. It's a fun age bracket too, though. I was very excited to put some things together for his birthday, some of which he won't appreciate or fully enjoy until he is much older. But I feel like this age is the beginning of true independence. searching, and a journey into becoming a young adult. I wanted to help him start his journey off right through a few special gifts. 

This is him opening his lego tool. For a long time now he has been using his teeth to separate the blocks, which drives me crazy, so this is a brick separator tool.


This book (above) "The Dangerous Book For Boys," is awesome! Okay, I have been eyeing it for some time, and knew that I wanted it for my boys, but once I brought it home, I almost wanted to keep it for myself! It has a little bit of everything in it from science experiments, to adventure stories, to how to master morse code, and speak Navajo. It has key history stories about our country, games, and poems that every boy should memorize. I realize that it may be a little hefty for an 8-year-old, but I think as the years go on, he will really learn to love it!
So on the very first page, there is an essentials list... things that every boy should have. It gave me an idea to collect all of these things and put them together as a gift to go along with the book. Finding everything on that list was a little trickier than I had first thought, but I got it done, after searching all over town and online. We even found this special lock box, to store it all in. 

Here is what the box included: a swiss army knife (I was a little apprehensive about this one, but we figured since it will be locked up, and rules made, it would be okay), a compass, a flashlight, bandaids, a box of matches(again, I know giving matches to a little boy -eek-)! a handkerchief (I love the idea of this, and all of it really, being so traditional)  a needle and thread, and a marble shooter.
He was so excited about all of it! And really he is a very responsible kid. I'm more worried about his little brothers, hence the lock code on the box.

After we gave him his essentials kit, daddy had a special few words to say to him about what is truly essential and important in life. He read a verse from the Bible, and added it to Elijah's kit.

This is the face of getting something he actually asked for... you would never guess... an electric pencil sharpener. Yep, he's a little quirky. I guess all that manual labor of turning the pencil over and over was really getting him down!

This was sweet. Owen had drawn him a few pictures for his birthday, this is him explaining them. I think he drew Elijah as a panda or something. He really loves his brother.

Oh yeah, it's my birthday! There are way too many candles on that cake!!!Right?! He can't really be eight! Which, it's not really cake, it's egg-free, dairy-free pumpkin bread. I knew Elijah wouldn't mind, I made it so that William could have some, and I wouldn't have to make a separate one just so that he could have something to enjoy, due to his allergies.

He blew out all the candles. He's officially an eight year old!

So, the next night after his birthday, he got to have a camp-out sleepover with his best buds and their dads. I was tempted to stay and spy on them, but instead William and I stayed at parents house so they could have their boy bonding time without a nose-y mother hanging about.
 
They had a great time roasting marshmallows, and twinkies, I am told.And telling stories deep into the night, and whatever else boys do...
Ha ha ha!

Eight. Wow. I feel too young to have an eight year old, but it's true! I think he will remember this weekend forever. And the journey begins!


No comments:

Post a Comment