Friday, January 20, 2012

Let's Play!

I love listening to the boys play together. At five and almost three, they are the best of friends! This is our second snow day, well yesterday wasn't declared a snow day by the school, but we took one anyway. So we have spent all day doing those things you just can't do on a regular day. We've painted, pretended, and played hard, which includes taking couch cushions out to make proper launching pads and so on.


Right now Owen is taking the lead in their pretend play, for a change. "Let's go to Disneyland," he says, "and see all of our friends." Elijah is wearing a backpack and acting like a puppy and Owen is holding on to the strap leading him around the living room. "Watch out for the mud puddle," he says... this just cracks me up... they even have pretend mud puddles in their world! They go on and on like this introducing new elements, heroes, and situations that require lots of noise.

I would love to take them to the "real" Disneyland, but I'm not sure how realistic that dream is right now, especially now that I am pregnant. Has anyone gone while being pregnant? If we did have the means to go, I think I would like going in late spring before I'm huge, but maybe we'll just wait for next year. I've had to say that before...ever since we moved back to North Idaho, I kept promising my husband we would run Bloomsday together. The same "maybe next year" keeps coming up. Although, I told him this year he should run it alone and the rest of us could come cheer him on. It's not like we'd really be able to run it together anyways. He'd want to run it competitively, hence leaving me in the dust. His work has it's own Gym on his floor, so he's been running on his lunch break! Way to go babe! How convenient is that!?

It is so funny to hear the boys change their voice for different characters. Now their playing "Stegosaurus" which is Owen's favorite dinosaur, or maybe the only dinosaur name he can remember. He keeps saying, "Be a nice Stegosaurus."

I have loved staying home and just letting the day unravel. Part of me wishes we did this everyday. I'm not the type who loves a lot of hustle and bustle and busyness. I was thinking about the last time I was pregnant... and Elijah was two-ish, that's what we did, stayed home all day everyday. We only had one car then, so we were stuck until daddy got home to take us around for errands. But I didn't mind, it was simple. Life always seems more simple in the past and difficult in the present. So I'm learning to embrace my present. Every morning before I get our of bed I try to pray for the day and focus on the kind of mom that I want to be that day. It's been helping.

Happy Snow Day everyone in the North!

p.s. I wish Elijah's snow suit was not still hanging up at his school! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment