Friday, August 22, 2014

"Cheers to Thirty Years"

Cheers To 30 Years: Martin's Surprise "Root Beer" Float Thirtieth Birthday Party!

I knew I wanted to do something special for Martin for his Thirtieth. Since I am very reserved I usually plan something that is just the two of us or the family, which is always fun too. But this year, I wanted to really make him feel like he was loved! I planned a "Root Beer Float" themed surprise party, that really surprised him!

My cover was that the party was for William, whose birthday is just one week after Martin's, and it worked way better than I thought! He had no leading suspicions! He still didn't believe the party was for him even after he came through the door, and we all said, "surprise!"

It was a good time! Just seeing his expression made it all worth it! The only down side, was that many people were out of town and couldn't make it for the party, so the numbers were not as many as they could have been.  However, my sister, Jenny, and her family were in town visiting and joined in on the fun!
I saved lots of jars, removed the labels, and they worked perfectly for the floats! 
I ordered the adorable straws online!

The Root Beer sign, I was able to print, 
add a simple frame, and it worked out just right!

I set up the table with a burlap runner as the base(Walmart $5),
 I had to have root beer colored balloons, and then just placed things where they looked right.

I made Martin this special mug for his float, by etching the glass
 myself. I used a "3" and "0" stickers, and used an etching paste 
that you can buy at most craft stores. You actually use the negative space, 
not the sticker. You put on the paste, let it sit for about 5 minutes, 
then rinse it off. I think it's pretty awesome stuff!

I had a lot of fun making this poster! It is suppose to look like a chalkboard,
but is actually a black foam board. I bought special markers made to
make this effect!

The "note" station! I wanted people to leave Martin a personal note,
or advice about his 30's, so I set up this little table, also we did a 
"30 Things About Martin" quiz, just for fun!

The Root Beer "cake." I saw this idea somewhere and just had to steal it!
I made the stand myself from dollar store plates and martini glasses!
I'm hoping that alone blows your mind! I blew mine!

Okay, so the banner is not quite hop-notch. But after putting everything together,
 Jenny, who was helping me, and I realized it was missing a "Happy Birthday banner. 
It did the job, but it was a last minute, thrown together thing.

The full view of the set up.

Using an easel really made the foam board work.

Party!


This was the "center piece" on each table.

Here's a closer look at the frame on the note table.


Me, my mom, and sister all wore aprons so we could serve.

So, here he is coming in. He had all the boys, thinking he was
 bringing them in to William's party.

"What? It's for ME!!!!!!!"

My beautiful mom and sis serving it up right!

Me, holding Will, enjoying a sip of the good stuff!

Air hockey kept the kids busy and happy!

Happy 30th Honey!

Him and the guys!

I know he had a really good time, and I hope he will remember it forever! I may have went a little over-board on the details of things (I just can't help it)!
P.S. A big thanks to my sis for helping me set up and make everything look wonderful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment