Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

Is there a way to do this "mom" thing in slow-motion? Owen and are are listening to the Beattles (lullaby version- I know, cool right?) while he is making his boy noises, playing with army trucks, jets, cars and, army guys. I love the way the morning light brightens up our living room. So far it has been a fairly pleasant morning. I'm even drinking my fav. Toffee Nut latte from Starbucks, which I got only because I had to stop at Target. Did you know you could use Target gift cards at the in-store Starbucks? Yep. Nice!

So last week I bought a Luna bar there, just to try it out because I was starving... Chocolate dipped coconut...Mmm! Anyways, I've been craving them all week, so today I bought a whole week's worth so I'll have some for snacking on the go! Incredibly delicious, really! (fyi- if you haven't heard of Luna Bars, they are great bars for women with calcium, folic acid, vitamin D, iron, extra protein, and fiber. My other favorite is the Lemon Zest one)!

On our way in, Owen told me, "I don't want to get in the cart this time, I'll just hold your hand." Since we were only getting a few things, I agreed. And surprisingly it was a very pleasant and easy shopping trip. I'm crediting it to the fact that I only had one little person to look after. This would have never work had Elijah been with us. It seems I can't get through a trip to the store without stern looks, and a few good threats. You know what I'm talking about... you say disruptive child's name with corresponding look of death, the next offense comes with this kind of phrase, "If you don't stop that I'm going to..." And if you actually remember everything you came into the store for and leave without a headache and all of your purchases, it's a miracle!

However, managing just one child is an entire different experience. Owen and I walked hand-in-hand in the store. He actually listened and did a very good job for a three year old at not touching everything. yay! I'm so thankful that the kids aren't spaced too close together, because I get to have moments everyday with them one on one, which is such a blessing. When Owen is napping, Elijah and I get our time together. Lately we've been really working on reading. He is doing really well with A Beka's "Handbook for Reading." It's so fun seeing him get excited about his own achievements, especially reading! He's blending and reading short vowel, small words! He's also learned a few sight words! I'm so proud of him!

One of the funniest things lately is the way the boys imagine things. Their new favorite thing is "what if." It's usually something really bizarre like, "Mommy, what if my fork was as tall, or even taller than our house and it could knock over buildings and huge monsters!?" or, "What if I was a big dinosaur and I smashed our house and ate everyone?" They are so funny! These ideas just come out randomly, but I welcome them because who doesn't love to imagine what might be possible, and they just make me laugh.

2 comments:

  1. This article made me laugh! What fun to have to curious and imaginative boys! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this doesn't have much to do with the content of your post, just the title. When I was in London, I was at some museum that had the original hand-written lyrics to "I Want To Hold Your Hand", but when I read them, I'm pretty sure they say "I want to hold your thing." Which is weird. I found a picture online, so you can judge for yourself...

    http://socialmediagal.blogspot.com/2010/10/random-quotes-i-love-beatles.html

    ReplyDelete