Saturday, February 4, 2012

No More Monkeys Getting Out of Bed!!!

It's nearly nine and both boys are in bed. It took a lot tonight to get them there, not really because they are difficult, but because I lack the needed energy and patience it takes. Today was Owen's third birthday! Wow what a big boy! We had a lot of fun, but I am thoroughly worn out and Martin, my love isn't here to rub my feet. (yes, he does that on a regular basis- I know spoiled). I didn't make any dinner... no one mentioned needing it. We watched the new Winnie the Pooh movie that Owen got for his birthday, and I snuggled down on the end of the couch with them and dosed off here and there.
Oh yes, I almost forgot- before that there was bouts of weepiness... what is it about being pregnant that turns me into this irrational cry -er? I felt bad that the boys had to comfort me. Owen kept saying, "It's okay mommy," and offering me different favorite stuffed animals that were sure to "make me feel better." Surprisingly, Elijah was less sensitive than usual about be crying. It was kind of like... oh yeah she does that... now let's watch our movie.

Owen had a late nap due to the party, and with no dinner of course was hungry after the movie ended at 7:30 (half an hour after regular bedtime). What could I do, send birthday boy to bed with an empty tummy just because the thought of making any food turned nauseated me? Nope, not allowed... although he settled for snack-ish things so I was satisfied. I had his teeth brushed, potty taken care of, story read, song sung, and boy tucked in a little after eight. Then I thought I hot shower sounded nice. And it was! However guess who was waiting by his door for me when I came out? yep silly monkey number two! Back to bed, one more song, okay make it two... and another bathroom trip, since at this point I am encouraging all pleas to go potty, and a search for winnie the pooh to snuggle with.... Then very calmly I said, "goodnight, I love you, If you get out of your bed again I'll have to give you a spanking."

The house is quiet now. Not in a comforting way, though. The balloons from the party keep lightly rubbing or tapping against the wall from the vent blowing air on them.

If you were wondering how Elijah got to sleep... well he's got the routine down. He gets to look at a book on his own while I sing and tuck Owen in. Sometimes he falls asleep even before I get to tuck him in, but he is my big helper. And he's great at following the rules we have set for bedtime.

Those silly boys keep me smiling. Sometimes even when I want to be mad at them I just can't. Like when I went back in Owen's room after my shower and he kept playing with my hair and asking me questions about it. Part of me wanted to tell him to stop talking so he could go to sleep, but the other part of me just wanted to listen forever to his little inquiries. "How did your hair get like this? It's spiky. Did you pour water on it?" then he pretended to pour water on his head. "I made mine spiky too."

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to Owen!

    I have a love/hate relationship with bedtime. It is completely exhausting, but also a great time to snuggle and talk. The older they get, the easier it gets. My boys would always ask me to lay with them for a few minutes after I tucked them in. And most of the time I did, because I knew the requests would end someday. And they did. Now I occasionally snuggle down next to them even though they don't ask. And they never refuse. At least not yet. :)

    ReplyDelete