Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Waiting for Routine to become Routine

In the past, my efforts to get in shape have lacked consistency. (I'm hoping this is my only downfall) The only time I can remember sticking with the same workout pattern on a daily basis was when I signed myself up for weights class in high school. I have to admit that I really did love that class as odd as it may sound. Me in weight class? yep. Lifting weights isn't all about bulking up, but I was one of three girls which turned into just two of us in the middle of the first quarter.

When working out becomes part of your daily routine, you can't help but enjoy it. I've known this truth ever since I forced myself to take that class. Your body begins to thrive on the extra energy, and I know there are endless benefits. The beginning is always the hardest. It's not routine yet... not grained into your system as something that must be done such as: the laundry or dishes. But once it is- it IS. I'm not there yet. In fact, I've already had some rough days when I've questioned the purpose, when I've wanted to give up. However, I am proud to say that I have made halfway through my second week of this personal fitness challenge! That's eight days of sweat!
Some tips:
Don't be too hard on yourself: This rule is a must for any challenge. If I don't get through my entire step video, I don't beat myself up. The point is that I made an effort. I'm also not crazy about rationing food or restricting myself into a corner. I try to eat healthfully, in moderation, and allow myself a treat here and there.
Eat what you like: You will never stick with it if you are forcing yourself to eat food you can't stand. Pick the vegetables that you actually enjoy eating. I can't get enough red peppers! And here's a little trivia: fresh red peppers are packed with more vitamin C than oranges, broccoli, and papaya!
Have Fun! If you aren't enjoying yourself, you need to pick a different kind of workout, trust me there is something out there that will make you love getting into a well fitting sports bra! Wear fun clothes too that make you feel great. Forget the baggy sweats and loose t-shirts. Even if you aren't in shape yet you will look and feel better in tight fitting clothes that support you. Of course I do my work out in the privacy of my living room so I don't have to worry about any one seeing me in me tiny red shorts and black and white perfect sports bra.

With consistency and a positive attitude, anything can be done!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the best way to keep up with a workout routine is to have some sort of commitment. If I'm paying to go to a gym, I'm too cheap to flake out when I've paid hard-earned money! Or if I sign up for a class, I go! I also like playing sports because you kind of have to do the work, but it's fun because you're playing a sport! I just wish I could find a soccer team around here! :)

    ReplyDelete